- Get off to a fast start while batting. Of late, the Indian start in limited overs cricket (both 50 overs and T20) has been very sluggish. A big part of the reason has been Rohit Sharma – he just takes too much time to settle down.
- Get the combination right. Dhoni has a few important decisions to take in this regard. In my mind the following players will play for sure – Shikar Dhawan, Virat Kohli, Suresh Raina, Yuvaraj Singh, M S Dhoni, Ravindra Jadeja, Ravichandran Ashwin, Bhuvaneshwar Kumar and Mohammed Shami.
- Question is who will open batting for India along with Dhawan. Will it be Rohit or Rahane. Rohit Sharma has struggled off late while Rahane has been playing well, albeit down the order. I still think Rohit will get the nod – but he has to pull some good performances, else he will not play too many games in this tournament.
- And who will be the final bowler. Will it be the spin of Amit Mishra, pace of Varun Aaron or all-round capabilities of Stuart Binny. Given that Pakistan plays spin very well – I think Dhoni will go with Varun Aaron. The extra pace of Varun could be a good counter threat against the likes of Afridi.
- Where does Virat Kohli bat – No.3 or No.4. The question is even more relevant given that Suresh Raina has shown good form. I feel Dhoni will play Kohli at No.3, Raina at No.4, Yuvraj at No.5, Dhoni himself at No.6, Jadeja at No.7 and Ashwin at No.8.
- Have a plan for playing Saeed Ajmal. The 4 overs Saeed bowls is the key. You cannot be too adventurous against him - neither can you afford to be too defensive. India should have a reasonable target for Saeed – probably between 20 & 25 runs while giving not more than 1 wicket away – and try and achieve it while taking minimum risks. Many people talk about Umar Gul – but I don’t think he poses a big threat to India.
- Plan for Shahid Afridi. You cannot bowl spinners at Afridi – he can hit you out of the park all day. And unless the ball is swinging a lot, guys like Bhuvaneshwar Kumar will also go for a lot of runs. Our best bet against Afridi will be Mohammed Shami and Varun Aaron. And these guys have to bowl well too. If Afridi plays 25 balls, chances are the match is gone.
- And finally, forget the recent worries and play like champions. An aggressive India will be a formidable threat for any team in this championship.
It is not just about coming back. It is about the impact you make in the process. And Chennai team knows how to with a bang. The Chennai team beat the home team by one wicket in what was an absolute sit-at-the-end-of-the-chair thriller. It was one of the best chases the tournament has seen and it most definitely won't be the last. The player who made the difference in the end - Jadhav - literally came back from the dead after retiring hurt to take his team to the finish line by hitting the ball in style with a six and a four. Batting on one leg and playing an absolutely unbelievable shot, this player leveled the scores first with a six and finished the match with a four. Key Points MI has never won their opener since 2013. This was Chennai's first win against MI in an opener of this T20 League DRS used in the league for the first time Bravo : It was a great team effort. I want to dedicate this win to the CSK fan, they have waited long for